Sunday, July 5, 2015

I Got Cupped!




Cupping is an ancient Eastern practice where cups made of either glass, plastic or bamboo are placed on strategic areas of the energetic body (either with heat or manually pumped) to stimulate areas of tissue that have become blocked. The suction of the cups (which are applied from 5-20 minutes) clears stagnant lymphs by drawing toxins to the surface from deep tissues and increases blood circulation to those blocked areas.

It looks much worse than it feels!! Cupping has been around for thousands of years and can be traced back to ancient China and Egypt. It has gained popularity once again in the West thanks to celebrities such as Gwyneth Paltrow and Victoria Beckham. You also may have noticed many Olympic athletes with the tell-tale cup-hickies on their bodies. Cupping therapy is now widely used by many physical therapists and massage therapists for a wide range of injuries.

I've practiced yoga and meditation regularly for the past decade and have included massage therapy as part of my wellness program for that time frame as well. I'm always exploring holistic and alternative approaches to wellness. I chose to get cupped to address some specific areas of pain in my body. I've had chronic right shoulder pain and tightness for more than a decade now, which I once thought was caused by stress. I also experience tightness in my right psoas and occasionally I have sciatic pain.  All on the right side of my body.

So how exactly does it work? The creation of negative pressure (suction) softens tight muscles, loosens areas of dehydration and lifts connective tissues in order to hydrate body tissues with increased hydration of blood and lymphs. The toxins that are raised are then drained by the lymphatic pathways. It essentially awakens areas of the body that have been blocked and stagnant creating invigoration and a profound and prompt level of healing, creating smooth and healthy glowing skin.

The application of the cups feels like an intense pinching sensation that lessens over time. I felt a great sense of relief and release when the cups were removed!

The marks left by the cupping procedure vary on individuals based on the level of toxicity in the body. They are not painful, and while mine look like large bruises or hickeys, they are not tender to the touch. The red purplish color is supposed to be dead blood that was brought to the surface.

I felt fine after my cupping procedure - it was after a 60 minute foot and body massage, so my muscles and connective tissues had been cleared out and circulation was ripe for the procedure. It wasn't until several hours later, once I was home and relaxed, that I began to feel the effects.

I'd had a pretty active and full day, but nothing more than my normal daily routine. I was hit by a sensation of exhaustion and nausea, so I soaked in a long, luxurious bubble bath for several minutes.  I had a reaction similar to an allergy attack, where my nasal passages felt inflammed and clogged. 

I then sat to meditate and felt strong, thick pulsation sensations coursing through my shoulders and neck into my sinus cavities. Then my nasal passages suddenly released, and I blew my nose every few minutes for a couple of hours - it was thin, clear liquid. I am guessing it was my lymphatic system draining additional toxins. I also urinated (sorry if this is TMI!) gallons of liquid during that time frame!

At that point I began to roll my neck in circles in both directions, and I could hear a ton of crunchiness in my neck. After I stopped rolling my neck, I took a deep breath in. My nasal passages felt clear and I experienced an amazing feeling of clarity, of a rush of pure oxygen right into my brain. My vision sharpened and I felt blood coursing throughout my entire body, including my psoas and right down to my feet.

It was an amazing sensation of lightness and sharpness. I slept like a baby all night, and when I woke up, my right shoulder felt amazing! Still some lingering tightness in my right psoas, but it feels a lot longer. And no sciatic pain! 

There are many true believers of cupping, and of course, many skeptics. I believe in the power of the mind and body connection. I believe that we have to take charge of our health, wellness and happiness. I believe that variety is the spice of life! I still believe in magic, too!

Annica! Annica! Annica!! be happy be happy be happy 








No comments:

Post a Comment